Home Search Print Login Add Bookmark
Manuscript Collection mentions Mary Alice Lasaine.
The Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture at the College of Charleston has documents which mention Mary Alice LaSaine and one of her sons, Herman.Mary Alice Lasaine had a school named after her. It's called, Murray-Lasaine Elementary in Charleston. A document here from (The Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture at the College of Charleston) mentions Mary Alice in two places:
Albertha Johnston Murray, a Charlestonian, was a teacher and principal in the Charleston area for almost fifty years. In 1909, she was a normal graduate of Claflin University and returned to begin teaching at Humbert Wood Public Elementary School on Johns Island. She taught at several schools in the area, including the Avery Normal Institute, before accepting the position of principal at Cut Bridge Elementary School on James Island-where she served for thirty-two years. Mrs. Murray, who was married to Richard Gaillard Murray, was also active in community organizations, including Central Baptist Church, the Missionary Society, American Red Cross, Tuberculosis Association, the Order of the Eastern Star, YWCA, McClennan- Banks Memorial Hospital, the Robert Gould Shaw Boys Club, and the Foundation for Infantile Paralysis. In 1955, she won her battle to have Cut Bridge School updated-the school was remodeled and opened as the Murray-LaSaine Elementary School in honor of Mrs. Murray and Dr. M. Alice LeSaine, former supervisor of the Negro Schools of Charleston County.
Contains correspondence, speeches, newspaper clippings, and articles that reflect the educational activities and community work of Mrs. Murray. Also contains some programs from events and a variety of certificates.
Herman B. LaSaine, the son of renowned Charleston educator Mrs. Mary Alice LaSaine, Contains correspondence, mainly of a personal nature.
|Owner/Source||Avery Rsearch Center|
|Linked to||Family: LaSaine/Person (F39)|